ECPD - Upgrades to AGRS Webinar Series: PART ONE Upgrading the Australian Geospatial Reference Syste
Date & Time
Wednesday, 21 Aug 2019
- 1:00 pm
NOTE: This webinar was presented live on 21 August 2019. Register to view the recording, as listed below.
The SSSI Young Professionals partnered with ICSM to present a four part lunchtime webinar series on upgrades to the Australian Geospatial Reference System (AGRS); the collection of datums, reference frames, models, infrastructure and standards needed for accurate 4D positioning.
The presenter was Nicholas Brown from Geoscience Australia. Nicholas is the Director of National Geodesy, Chair of the Permanent Committee on Geodesy and Australian Representative on FIG Commission 5. He is responsible for the development and refinement of the national coordinate reference frame, absolute gravimetry program, InSAR program and national geodesy products including geoid models. Nicholas has a Bachelor of Applied Science in Geomatics from RMIT and a Masters in Geophysics (Space Geodesy) from ANU.
This event is Part 1: Upgrading the Australian Geospatial Reference System.
The Australian Government has committed $225m to Geoscience Australia to provide 5-10 cm accurate positioning to anyone, anytime, anywhere in Australia by 2023. This is a significant improvement from the 5-10 m accuracy you can currently achieve using GPS enabled devices.
In anticipation for the growing use and reliance on positioning technology, the Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping’s Permanent Committee on Geodesy (ICSM PCG) is leading the upgrade of a number of elements of Australia’s Geospatial Reference System to ensure Australian’s can maximise the benefits of precise positioning. The elements of the Australian Geospatial Reference Systems being upgraded include:
- static datum (from GDA94 to GDA2020)
- introduction of a time dependent reference frame (Australian Terrestrial Reference Frame)
- introduction of a new reference surface for heights (Australian Vertical Working Surface)
- improved geodetic infrastructure, and
- standards development to improve access and efficiency of geodetic data.
This first of four webinars on the Upgrading the Australian Geospatial Reference System will address questions like:
- What is Geodesy?
- What is the Geoscience Australia precise positioning program?
- What is the Australian Geospatial Reference System?
- What parts of the Australian Geospatial Reference System are being upgraded and why?
- Australian Terrestrial Reference Frame
- Australian Vertical Working Surface
- Standards – eGeodesy
1.0 SSSI or BOSSI CPD Point | Event code: SSSIYP113
Note: to receive BOSSI points however, you must complete a questionnaire on the webinar. You will receive the link to this questionnaire in your confirmation email.
Please register below to receive details on how to view the webinar.
Katie Le Miere