eCPD - Review of Strata Titles Act 1998
Date & Time
Saturday, 29 May 2021
- 5:00 pm
Review of Strata Titles Act 1998
Feedback and Discussion Forum
The Department of Primary Industries, Parks Water & Environment (DPIPWE) is seeking further feedback from interested parties as part of a review of the Strata Titles Act 1998 (the Act). The Act regulates strata title developments and day to day living in a strata title development in Tasmania.
As part of the early stages of the review, SSSI was identified as a key industry stakeholder and asked to nominate representatives to form part of the Act Review Reference Group. Michael Giudici and Colin Smith kindly both nominated to be our Industry representatives. The reference group’s role was to provide advice in relation to the finalization of a discussion paper that has now been publicly released. The Department is seeking broader industry commentary and feedback received will be used to assist with potential amendments to the ACT.
An initial review of the key focus areas within the discussion paper by SSSI representatives highlighted areas one to six would likely be of interest to Registered Land Surveyors in Tasmania. A formal submission will largely depend on feedback received from industry members.
- Area One – Planning and development of strata schemes.
- Area Two – Requirements for a strata plan.
- Area Three – Different regulatory frameworks depending on the number of lots, use of those lots and/or the configuration of the development (conjoined, high-rise or villas).
- Area Four – Management or Disclosure Statements.
- Area Five – Unit Entitlements.
- Area Six – Common Property.
As part of our ongoing commitment to strong professional advocacy and industry representation we now invite the broader surveying industry to give further consideration to the review and provide comments that we can include as part of a formal SSSI response to the discussion paper.
We are seeking to do this in two ways:
- The first is a request for written responses to the Discussion paper, which can be accessed here, that will be included as part of a final submission.
- The second is through participation, attending an online industry discussion forum, where representatives from the Review Reference Group will provide background information as to the purpose and intent of the review and summarize some of the key areas of concern and attention for the profession.
This event is worth 1.5 SSSI CPD points.
Katie Le Miere