eCPD APSEA-NSW 2020 Winners Webinar Series: Spatial Vision & DPIE
Date & Time
Wednesday, 18 Jan 2023
- 1:00 pm
This is a recording of a live webinar held on 21 July 2021.
We are proud to present a recorded webinar series highlighting some of the outstanding NSW winners of the 2020 Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards, a program run by SSSI & SIBA|GITA to celebrate the outstanding work of individuals and organisations in the surveying and spatial field. Over the past few months, we have heard about the challenges and successes of three of the NSW based winning teams.
The second presentation was from the winners of the Award for Environment and Sustainability, NSW DPIE Water Analytics & Spatial Vision on their project Analysis of User Requirements & Spatial Strategy, focusing on the geospatial strategy developed for water monitoring in NSW. It included an interactive panel session with the presenters.
NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE) is engaged in several research, pilot and funded development programs which aim to review, test and implement innovative spatial and remote sensing technologies to support water resource management and compliance related functions.
These programs are currently being undertaken in partnership with and/or with support from WaterNSW, NSW Natural Resources Access Regulator (NRAR) and the Murray Darling Basin Authority (MDBA).
This program focus areas that include the use of remote sensing and spatial technologies to observe, analyse and report on:
* Presence / absence of water in on-farm storages, river reaches & canals, floodplains & refuge pools
* Water use and application to irrigated areas
* Identification of irrigated crop areas, crop type and rotation - to inform water resource modelling and compliance functions
* Identification and characterisation of infrastructure including that in-channel, across floodplain or at farm scale
* Calculating water balance (farm, river reach, catchment) supported by remote observations.
* Monitoring environmental/flood flows across large geographies
* Supporting major programs and projects with spatial and remote sensing products and analysis.
Spatial Vision was engaged to assist the Department with harnessing remote sensing, geospatial data and technologies to gather indicators for water compliance monitoring.
The project supports recommendations from the independent investigation into NSW water management and compliance lead by Ken Matthews AO, which examined a comprehensive set of reforms. This includes the Water Management Compliance Improvement Package and the Remote Sensing Water Compliance Support Business Case for the 2018-2021 financial year.
Spatial Vision analysed user requirements in line with the Natural Resource Access Regulator and the current state of play. The resulting analysis formed the basis of a strategic two-year roadmap outlining fifteen unique initiatives, deliverables, risks and mitigation actions to assist the department in meeting future business requirements.
By registering below, you receive access to the watch the webinar recording at your leisure.
Note: if you can't see the registration form below, ensure you don't have third party cookies blocked (Chrome instructions, Edge instructions) on your browser or try an alternative browser.
- This event is worth one SSSI CPD Point.
- BOSSI: 1 Survey Practice Point (Code: SSSINSW1049)
Note, only the individual registered for the event is entitled to receive the associated CPD points.
Katie Le Miere, National Events Manager