CEO's Report June 2019
In April, SSSI undertook a detailed online survey of our members. This was the first of what will become an annual initiative to gauge the opinions, needs and perceptions of the professionals of Australia’s surveying and spatial sciences fields.
The SSSI Annual Member Survey 2019 drew 508 unique responses – a fantastic response rate providing high reliability and a low margin of error for the aggregated responses. This first survey featured 19 questions focused on four key areas:
1. How long have you been a member of SSSI?
2. Please specify your main reason for becoming a member of SSSI.
3. What do you value most about your SSSI membership?
4. How could SSSI improve your membership experience?
5. Do you attend SSSI Events?
6. On average, how many events do you attend each year?
7. What features draw you to SSSI events? (for those who attend events)
8. What prevents you from attending SSSI events? (for those who don’t attend events)
9. What would be the best time of day for you to attend events?
10. What kind of events would you be likely to attend? (select all that apply)
11. How can SSSI improve the events offered to members?
12. Which SSSI publications and social media do you read on a regular basis?
13. What industry-related topics are you most interested in reading about?
14. How likely are you to renew your SSSI membership?
15. What are your reasons for your decision to renew or not renew your SSSI membership?
16. Are you a member of any other industry or professional associations?
17. Of which other industry or professional associations are you a member?
18. How would you prefer to pay your SSSI membership fees?
19. If you could tell the SSSI National Board anything, what would it be?
SSSI members provided a wealth of feedback about the industry and about SSSI – what we do well, and what we should do better. This short column cannot convey all the insights provided by our members, but I’d like to mention a few significant areas of feedback:
- Our members most value SSSI’s capacity to keep them updated on industry news, deliver networking and events, and provide professional development.
- More than 76% regularly attend SSSI events.
- Event attendees are most interested in professional development, networking opportunities, and exciting speakers and topics.
- For those who do not attend SSSI events, the main reason is that they are too busy.
- Respondents indicated a strong affinity for the full range of different events delivered by SSSI including CPD events, networking events, training events, workshops, conferences/forums, casual events, and online events/webinars.
- Our members’ preferred communication channels are Position magazine, the national GeoMessage, and regional newsletters.
- Fewer than 1% of respondents are unlikely to renew their SSSI membership.
- 46% of respondents are a member of another professional or industry organisation, in addition to SSSI.
- Over 76% of respondents prefer to keep paying their membership fee annually.
These results have already informed the decision making of the SSSI Board and will continue to do so over the coming year. I look forward to highlighting more of our members’ feedback in future columns here.
I am also pleased to announce the winner of the survey prize draw. James Keating of Perth, WA, will enjoy free registration, travel and accommodation to Locate 2020 in Brisbane (up to a maximum value of $3,000).
Chief Executive Officer
Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI)
Telephone: +61 7 3367 0262
Address: 3/18 Kilroe St, Milton QLD 4064
www.sssi.org.au | firstname.lastname@example.org