On 6 September 2018, the Hon Yvette D'Ath, Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Leader of the House, referred an inquiry to the State Development, Natural Resources and Agricultural Industry Development Committee to examine the opportunities to create jobs across Queensland, in particular regional Queensland, and promote existing supply chain capability from the establishment of an Australian space industry.
In undertaking this inquiry, the Committee will consider:
- The Australian Government's establishment of an Australian Space Agency on 1 July 2018;
- The space supply chain, which has been broadly categorised as, Space systems (including communication satellites), Ground systems, Applications and ancillary services, and End use (e.g. improved telecommunications, mapping and emergency management);
- The review of space supply chain capability released by the Australian Government prior to the Agency being announced;
- Queensland’s areas of competitive advantage in relation to identified capability which, at a high level, have been identified as communications, earth observations, position, navigation and timing; and
- Areas of regional Queensland where supply chain capability exists, particularly in areas of competitive advantage.
The closing date for submissions is 5:00pm Thursday 11 October 2018.