Committee Meeting Report
The July meeting of the National Spatial Information & Cartography Commission Committee covered the following :
- Decision to ask the GISP-AP assessment panel what support they need.
- Decision to talk further with Oceania OpenStreetMap Foundation about how SSSI can assist with the formation a local chapter in Australia.
- GeoMessage usage analytics have been distributed for consideration.
- Decision to ask members of SICC to supply answers to profile questions for publishing in Geomessage. A random method to be used for inviting contributions.
- Discussion around the Spatial Industry 2026 Action Plan and which items the SICC Commission can assist with/focus on.
APSEA 2020 – Regional award nominations open
Don't forget the 2020 Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Award nominations are open for each region. Nominate yourself or a colleague now!
Information is available from the APSEA website. Nominations close on 31 August.
SICC Member Profile
Each month we will aim to publish a profile of one of our commission’s valued members.
Today, we introduce you to Ross Friend!
Who are you? Ross Friend, live on the Sunshine Coast Queensland with my wife and three children.
Where do you work and what's your role? I work for Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads as a GIS Officer.
What drove you to choose a spatial science career? In my final weeks of finishing school in small country town in far North West Queensland, I saw a job add with Main Roads as a trainee surveyor, I applied and as they say the rest is history.
What is a memorable moment you can share from your experience? Working on the Cooroy to Curra Bypass project, in creating a diverse range of spatial and cartographic outputs. Ranging from crash analysis maps used in the project proposal to both Federal and State Ministers, researching small earth wall dam construction using Lidar with rainfall data to identify location and estimated capacity of potential storage dam sites. Finally having to research wave formation on open bodies of water, using historic wind speed and direction to calculate potential impact from the then proposed Traveston Crossing Dam on the new road.
What keeps you excited about your chosen profession? I see that all data that is consumed and created should have a spatial location. With this in mind, I am continually driven to make use of advances in technology to enable the capture of this spatial component. So rather than data remaining in isolated silos, it can be tied together so it can be analysed and shared across all the decision-making process within the organisation.
New SICC Members
We are pleased to welcome the following new members who joined last month:
- Hassan Akram, Qld
- Milena Pamirez Leguizamon, NSW
- Shirley Chau, NSW
- Henry Nichols, Tas
- Alister Beran, Qld
- Huon Wilson, NSW
The following SSSI webinars may be of interest to our SICC members.
Check out the full list of events here.
Did you miss a recent webinar? Don't worry - you can register for the recording from our eCPD page!
Events still scheduled:
SSSI webinars free for members
As of 1 July 2020, registration for webinars is FREE for all members of SSSI. Non-members (including Alliance Partners) pay only $55 for our webinars.
Registrations for webinars close two hours prior to the live start time - and don't forget, if you can't make the live time, you will receive a link to the recording to watch at your leisure.
GIS Leadership Virtual Summit – July 28-29
Registrations are open for the FREE GIS Leadership Virtual Summit. Virtually hosted in the USA, the program which includes 15 speakers is designed to inform, teach and grow your knowledge on specific GIS leadership and management subjects to improve the organization's use of GIS.
- Day 1 focusses in developing a GIS Strategic Plan.
- Day 2 focusses on GIS Leadership Communication
New member appointed to the SIC Certification Panel (SICCP)
The SICCP is responsible for the ongoing development, administration, regular review and promotion of the Geographic Information Systems Professional – Asia Pacific (GISP-AP) Certification Program. The SICCP undertakes its role as an autonomous and independent professional certification body within SSSI. This panel is made up of well qualified volunteers from the spatial science industry.
We are pleased to announce the appointment of a new member to the SIC Certification Panel, Ross Friend (GISP-AP) who works at the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads. Congratulations Ross!
URISA’s GIS Pro 2020 Conference Goes Virtual
USA’s primary GIS industry professional organisation, URISA holds an annual conference called GIS Pro. Normally hosted in different state each year, the conference is going to be virtual for 2020, providing SSSI Members and opportunity to look at the topics and potentially attend an international conference from the comfort of home.
- Virtual URISA workshops will take place on September 23 & 24 and October 6 & 7.
- Keynote addresses, breakout sessions, partner-sponsored sessions, and special interest group meetings will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday (September 29-October 2).
- A Virtual Marketplace will provide access with solutions providers
- Networking at the Virtual "Hotel Lounge" and opportunities to connect, engage, and collaborate will be plentiful.
Other news sources for spatial professionals
Recent News – Back Issues
Missed out on our recent news articles? Click the links below to have a read!
Editorial Team – Acknowledgements
- Georgie Cassar
- Angus Scown
- Robert Campbell