Please find below information on what is happening at the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute Victoria as of February 2020.
Victoria Regional Chair - Andrej Mocicka
I hope that all had a restful time with family and friends over the festive season.
2020 has started with a number of major events none more compelling than that of the fires ravaging the state and the country as a whole.
National SSSI is organising a Bushfire Recovery Map-a-thon to be run on Sunday 9 February and I would encourage anyone interested in participating to register here. Please note spaces are limited and participants need to bring their own laptops.
The ISV/SSSI joint Summer Seminar held each year at the CR Kennedy offices was run by the SSSI Victorian Land Surveying Commission Committee on Tuesday 21 January and was an outstanding success yet again with over 200 delegates, a packed program and some lively discussions with a casual and well catered for the networking session at the end. Congratulations to organisers Lindsay Perry, Geoff Patterson, Mary Rabbling, Thierry Demathieu, Peter Morrison, Mohsen Kalantari and Gavin Aldar for a job well-done.
From a national perspective, the SSSI Board conducted an Innovation/Strategic Workshop for half day, which brought out a great many ideas and strategies for SSSI to continue to move forward with and grow.
I would also take this opportunity to tell you to put in your diary a breakfast on Friday 6 March for the Women in Spatial seminar.
Other items for you to be aware of are:
Chair, SSSI Victoria
SSSI Victoria is pleased to have the following members join SSSI in December and January:
- Marcus Jennings-Sykes - Associate Member, EMS
- Iqbal Esmaty - Student Member, LS
- James Gao - Student Member, LS
- Nur Fajar Trihantoro - Student Member, SIC
We would like to extend a warm welcome to our new members and we hope to meet you soon.
Friday 6 March | Women in Spatial Seminar "Save the date"
- New Residential Zone Guidance Released
- Improving Access to Planning Schemes Online
- New Search Features Available on the Planning Portal
- Draft Melbourne Industrial and Commercial Land Use Plan
Land Use Victoria has recently released to customer information bulletins:
- Customer Information Bulletin 196
- Reminder: Elimination of cheques as a payment method
- Participation Rules and Operating Requirements for electronic conveyancing transactions
- Statutory Declarations from 1 January 2020
- Reminders and directions to Representatives signing Registry Instruments on behlaf of their clients
- Customer Information Bulletin 195
- Support for bushfire-affect communities: tax and fee relief
A liaison meeting with Land Registry Services was recently held in the last week of January. Some items for discussion and action included...Read more
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS), National Ocean Service (NOS), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), are taking collaborative action to provide national uniformity in the measurement of length. A notice released by NIST announced the decision to deprecate the use of the “U.S. survey foot” on December 31, 2022. After that date, the “U.S. survey foot” will be superseded by the “foot” (formerly known as the “international foot”), which is already in use throughout the U.S. Read more.