Please find below information on what is happening at the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute Victoria as of December 2018.
Victoria Regional Chair - Lindsay Perry
As another year draws to a close, preparations are well underway for a busy 2019. Your Regional Committee spent most of a Saturday at the beginning of this month planning out events for next year. A lot of time and effort goes into developing these programs, please support their efforts. We are always open to feedback from members for suggestions to help develop our events.
During 2019 we are introducing a series of breakfast meetings working through the various options of data capture, data processing etc. The first meeting is proposed for Monday Feb 11th. Throughout the year we will continue to hold twilight events to address contemporary issues, developments in technology, legislative updates etc as they arise.
Locate 19 is to be held in Melbourne from 8th-10th April and SEASC 2019 is being held in Darwin August 15-18. Our spatial summit is proposed for 30th August subject to venue availability and our remote measurement day will be held later in the year’.
Zita Ultmann our convenor for Women in Spatial is arranging a variety of programs, the first being a Golf Day on 14 Jan and the Young Professionals under Frazer Wilson have also developed an active program. Please refer to the Events Calendar which is attached to most of our local SSSI bulletins for more information.
On behalf of the Victorian Region Committee we wish you and your families a safe and happy Christmas festive season and a prosperous new year.
Asia-Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards (APSEA) Victoria
Congratulations to our winners at the APSEA Victoria Awards held on 5 December.
- Young Professional of the Year Mina Jihanshahi
- Women’s Leadership Award Mary Rabling
- Educational Award (Joint Winners) Dr Mohsen Kalantari University of Melbourne and Dr Chris Rudiger Monash University
- Post Graduate Student Award Marie Truelove
- Sustained Excellence in Cadastral Surveying Mark Langenbacher
Our winners will automatically be entered into the APSEA National Awards to be held as part of Locate in Melbourne next April.
(L-R: Kathy Crooks - MC, Lindsay Perry, Chair, SSSI Victoria, Melinda Borg, Mina Jahanshahi, Young Professional of the Year Award)
(L-R: Dr Marie Truelove, Postgraduate of the Year Award; Mark Langenbacher, Sustained Excellence in Cadastral Surveying)
(L-R: Dr Zita Ultmann - Chair, SSSI VIC WIS, Mary Rabling, Women's Leadership Award, Andrew Bashfield - former Chair, SSSI VIC SICC, Dr Chris Rudiger, and Dr Mohsen Kalantari, joint winners of the Educational Development Award)
One of our sustaining partners Taylors Development also won the Industry Award for Innovation and Commercialisation and another one of our sustaining partners Listech celebrated 30years in business at the Eureka Tower on 28 November.
At the APSEA Victoria Awards Professor Clive Fraser
was elevated to an Honorary Fellow of SSSI. Professor Fraser has had a high achieving career, particularly in areas of digital close range photogrammetry, 3D forensic analysis, industrial measurement and metric exploitation of high resolution photogrammetry, most notably his digital camera calibration program “Australis”. He has published over 380 technical papers and earned numerous international awards whilst locally serving as Head of the University of Melbourne Geomatics Department, where he mentored many undergraduate and post graduate students, tutors and visiting researchers.
Congratulations Clive on your achievements and award.
SSSI Victoria Members End of Year Event 11 December
And finally on 11 December around 50 members joined their colleagues to review the year, welcome new members and enjoy a light-hearted presenation by SSSI HonFellow Gary Hunter on his aid work experiences with the UN, World Bank US etc in Afghanistan and Africa.
SSSI Victoria would like to welcome our new members:
- Kevin Eid, EMSC - Affiliate
- Liqiong Song, SICC - Member
- Ross McAtamney, LSC - Member
- Xavier Prescott, SICC - Student
- Rajesh Chittor Sundaram, SICC - Student
- Shrikrishna Dere, SICC - Student
- Hugh Sutherland, EMSC - Student
- Matthew Rix, EMSC - Student
- Patrick Horkings, EMSC - Student
- Chen Kuan-Wen, SICC - Student
We have new memberships which are in the process of being finalised and we will announce them in the coming months.
Events Coming Up
Women in Spatial Golf
Monday 14 January 2019 | Yarra Bend Golf
More information and register here
Summer Seminar with ISV
Tuesday 22 January 2019 | CR Kennedy Auditorium
More information and register here
GIS Breakfast Series - Event 1
Monday 11 February | Jacobs Office
Details out soon
Land Use Victoria Customer Information Bulletins
Land Use Victoria has recently released two customer information bulletins
Customer Information Bulletin 183
• Christmas and new year closure
• Creating restrictive covenants in transfers
• Remaining instrument types (residual documents) in the Electronic Lodgment Network
• Australian Institute of Conveyancers workshop on processing transactions electronically
Customer Information Bulletin 184
• Christmas and new year closure
• Converting paper certificates of title to electronic
• New Electronic Lodgment Network Operator (ELNO)
• Extension of priority notices and guidelines on priority notices
• Recording judgments, decrees, orders or processes of execution of a court
• Deceased registered proprietors
• Which caveats can be lodged using an ELN?
• Update on 100% electronic lodgement
New Cabinet Announced
On 29 November, Premier Daniel Andrews unveiled the new Labor Government’s Cabinet, which for the first time in the state’s history, half the Victorian Cabinet will be women. The Opposition also announced their Shadow Cabinet. A second term government with a large majority usually uses this opportunity to exercise their policies for reform. We anticipate a rigorous reform plan next year.
Some of the key portfolios relating to SSSI activities are:
- Daniel Andrews - Premier
- James Merlino - Deputy Premier | Minister for Education
- Gavin Jennings - Government Leader Legislative Council | Special Minister of State | Minister for Priority Precincts
- Jaclyn Symes - Deputy Leader Legislative Council* | Minister for Regional Development* | Minister for Agriculture* | Minister for Resources*
- Jacinta Allan - Leader of the House | Minister for Transport Infrastructure
- Lily D'Ambrosio - Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change | Minister for Solar Homes
- Melissa Horne - Minister for Public Transport | Minister for Ports and Freight
- Marlene Kairouz - Minister for Suburban Development
- Lisa Neville - Minister for Water
- Martin Pakula - Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Minister
- Jaala Pulford - Minister for Roads
- Adem Somyurek - Minister for Local Government
- Gayle Tierney - Minister for Training and Skills | Minister for Higher Education
- Richard Wynne - Minister for Planning | Minister for Housing
WorkSafe Launches New Quad Bike Safety Videos
WorkSafe Victoria has launches eight new quad bike safety videos to help workplaces identify hazards and control risks related to quad bike use.
Making it easy for workplaces to access resources in the field, the videos, along with WorkSafe’s written guidance is now also available on the new quad bikes safety app. Material on the app can be viewed offline in areas where there is limited line speed.
The app includes helpful information on:
- pre-start checks
- hazard identification and training
- the risk of rollover
- inspection and maintenance
- loads and tyres
- the quad bike safety rebate
View videos here