The National Young Professionals committee held its inaugural meeting on January 18, 2018, and are excited about their plans for 2018. We’re working towards a range of initiatives including:
- a national framework for mentoring for young professionals
- a series of face-to-face and online event and webinars to offer career development insights from people in various areas and career progressions in the surveying and spatial science industry
- greater involvement with educational institutions to improve awareness of career options within the surveying and spatial sciences industry
Our key focus is reaching out to and engaging with young professionals and students in a meaningful way, and helping them to find value in SSSI as their industry body. We conducted a national survey in 2017 to understand the needs of young professionals and preferences for engagement with SSSI, and we plan on working with the SSSI board to find ways to implement the results of these surveys in our actions moving forward.
Currently the committee is composed of:
- Chair: Roshni Sharma (NSW)
- Secretary: Kei Nakakoji (NSW ROM)
- NSW representative: Alex Pescud
- VIC representative: Jason Heritage
- VIC representative: Richard Syme
- WA representative: Nawaraj Tiwari
- WA representative: Feiyan Yu
- QLD representative: Dale Atkinson
- SA representative: Tom Jeffrey
Positions which are currently available are:
- Northern Territory YP representative
- Tasmania YP representative
2018 is looking to be an exciting year, with a lot of good energy and motivation to find ways to add value to the membership experience for YPs.
For more information on YP involvement, please contact Roshni Sharma at firstname.lastname@example.org.