Hydrographic Excellence (HE) Award
The Hydrography Commission (HC) Hydrographic Excellence (HE) Award recognises those individuals or teams working in the field of hydrography across the various hydrographic disciplines, who have made an outstanding contribution to the science of hydrography.
This award replaces the Hydrography Commissions former Hydrographic Safety Representative (HSR) Award which was first presented in 2015. Identifying the need to recognise more broader efforts and endeavours beyond workplace health and safety, for example project-related work that exemplifies the highest standards of professional hydrographic excellence or field work that has resulted in a lasting difference/contribution to a particular hydrographic discipline, at its February 2016 face-to-face meeting Hydrography Commission National Committee members re-considered the likely direction of the current HSR Award. The outcome of these deliberations was a decision to address the HSR Award with more general Commission-sponsored excellence recognition.
The new HE Award aims to recognise hydrographic project and field work that embraces hydrographic surveying activities that reflect hydrographic excellence and which deliver hydrographic best practice, either ashore or afloat.
From 2017 onwards the HE Award will replace the Commission's former HSR Award.
The award is presented annually either at the HC National Committee's annual face-to-face meeting (in February each year) or at an appropriate trans-Tasman or State-affiliated national/international SSSI-related conference (eg. the annual West Australian Spatial Excellence Awards event).
The HE Award does not replace current recognition for hydrographic surveyors in place through the Australasian Hydrographic Society or any other State-based organisation with vested interests in hydrographic surveying. Rather, the HE Award aims to complement such recognition to help advance the hydrographic profession. To this end, HE Award recipients may be eligible for nomination for other spatial science, health and safety or environmental awards through other award systems/organisations (see below).
Presentation of HE Award
The HE Award is considered on a calendar year basis with nominations opening 1st January each year.
Only one (1) award will be presented in any one calendar year in recognition of professional excellence. This will be made to either an individual or a team. In the event of a team receiving the HE Award, the award will be presented to each team member's parent organisation.
HE Award Selection Guidelines and Criteria
Eligibility. Any hydrography-qualified individual or hydrographic team involved with overseeing, managing, or conducting hydrographic projector filed work across any of the hydrography disciplines over the past 12 months or over more than one calendar year is eligible for HE Award nomination.
Nominations. Any individual or group within the SSSI, HC, Australasian Hydrographic Society, New Zealand Institute of Surveyors (NZIS), or any company/organisation employing hydrographic surveyors of hydrographic teams, can submit one or more nominations for the HE Award each year.
Selection Criteria. Nominations should address the following key criteria (see also the Narrative section of the HE Award Nomination Form):
- Performance - demonstrated professional prowess and/or outstanding performance in nominees field of expertise/field or project work;
- Achievement - nature of outcome/result over the past 12 months or longer;
- Excellence - demonstrated hydrographic excellence or employment of best practice processes/procedures/techniques;
- Innovation -use of any innovative processes, procedures or practices to deliver the required hydrographic product/outcome;
- Contribution - tangible difference/benefits the individual/team has made/realised through their project or work to benefit of the hydrographic surveying profession.
Importantly, the justification for the award must articulate a clear description of the individuals or teams performance, its value to the organisation/company or the hydrographic community in general, and any beneficial results arising from such performance.
In considering how best to address the above criteria the nomination might include consideration of the following:
- For an individual nomination, the discharge of duties additional, or superior, to those of the nominees rank, position or status;
- Duties carried out/work performed in difficult and challenging circumstances either as a result of a single notable performance or longer-term performance over a number of hydrographic-related activities throughout the year;
- Duties/work performed in such a way that it realises special/enduring value to the hydrographic community (e.g. outcomes that enhance the standing of the hydrographic discipline in Australasia either at a national or international level); and
- Results that may have realised tangible safety-related outcomes to support effective hydrographic operations.
HE Award Guidelines, Selection Process and Committee Actions
The following guidelines detail the selection process and HE Award workflow along with specific actions to be taken by the HE Award Committee in considering an annual award order of merit.
HE Award Guidelines and Selection Process
HE Award Nomination Form
Completed nominations are to be forwarded to either of the following:
SSSI HE Awards Chair
PO Box 4134
STRATHFIELD SOUTH NSW 2136
or emailed via email@example.com
HE Award nominations will remain open until 26th April 2019. Nominations are to be forwarded through the SSSI Hydrography Commission SSSI for the attention of the HE Award Committee Chair by this closing date for consideration by the HE Award Committee.
Further information on the HE Award can be obtained from the SSSI Hydrography Commission website.
In order to fully assess particular nominations that may relate to a specialist hydrographic fields or disciplines beyond the expertise of the Committee, the HE Award Committee Chair may seek input from other suitably qualified HC National Committee members.
HE Award Eligibility for Other Industry Awards
Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association
The annual HE Award recipient (individual or team) may also be eligible to be considered for the annual Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (APPEA)Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Awards. The APPEA HSE Awards are presented as part of the annual APPEA National Health, Safety and Environment Conference, an event supported by the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority(NOPSEMA). The APPEA conference enables workforce representatives from across Australia to come together to share their health and safety experiences and solutions.
The APPEA HSE Awards recognise those individuals within the Australian oil and gas industry who have demonstrated an outstanding contribution to workplace health and safety. The APPEA HSE Awards are for specific initiatives, which may be collaborative across organisations or projects and are open to individuals, teams and companies from across the industry. Submissions range from high-level management and system improvements that affect the whole of an organisation to very practical frontline innovations.
The APPEA HSE Awards were established in 2006 and are normally presented annually at the Burswood convention and entertainment complex in Perth, WA.
The following guidelines are to govern any HE Award recipient when being considered for the APPEA HSE Awards:
- The APPEA HSE Awards are limited to those hydrographic personnel working in the Australian offshore oil and gas industry.
- The responsibility for submitting the HE Award recipient for the APPEA HSE Awards is the recipients parent organisation/original nominating person/party.
- The HE Award Committee will provide appropriate assistance as required (and if requested) to support an APPEA HSE Awards nomination (e.g. letter of support, confirmation of being awarded the HE Award etc).
- HC National Committee financial assistance, either for travel and accommodation, will not be provided for any successful APPEA HSE Awards nomination (i.e. to help fund either the HE Award recipients or team representatives attendance at the annual award presentation as part of the APPEA National Health, Safety and Environment Conference).
Asia Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards
The SSSI regions hold an annual spatial professional award event, usually during the Locate conference series, where individuals are recognised for excellence within their community.
The annual HE Award recipient (or team) may also be considered for one of the categories comprising the annual Asia Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards (APSEA).
The responsibility for submitting the HE Award recipient for the APSEA remains with the recipients parent organisation/original nominating person/party.
In conjunction with the SSSI Awards and Recognition Sub Committee, the HE Award Committee will provide appropriate assistance as required (and if requested) to support an APSEA nomination (e.g. letter of support, confirmation of being awarded the HE Award etc).
HC National Committee financial assistance, either for travel and accommodation, will not be provided to support any successful APSEA nomination.