Disaster Management & Recovery
Early in June 2020 sees the first meeting being held for the new SSSI Special Interest Group for Disaster Management and Recovery. SSSI National Board member Dr Lesley Arnold has been appointed inaugural Chair. The DMR mission is to drive collaboration and information sharing in relation to surveying and spatial information citizens science initiatives. It will:
- Provide leadership and coordination for volunteer surveying and spatial information acquisition for when a disaster strikes.
- Build a well-coordinated national network of surveying and spatial professional volunteers (organisations and individuals) able to respond to immediate disaster recovery needs.
- Develop a strategy and establish a framework that can stimulate and coordinated volunteer surveying and mapping disaster recovery efforts in the event of future disasters.
- Adopt policies and standards for volunteer data collection that are interoperable with the needs of government and academia.
- Consult with government and academia to determine data needs and priorities on all collaborative projects.
Earlier this year we were proud of the surveying and spatial community rallying together to participate in the SSSI National Bushfire Recovery Map-a-thon. This initiative alone showed how our profession comes together in time of need. The DRM group will provide the capacity to ensure that we continue to provide an immediate response when required.
More details will be posted soon.