YP Mentoring Program
Now in its fifth year, hundreds of surveying and spatial professionals have participated in the SSSI YP Mentoring Program and achieved considerable personal and professional growth.
Applications for the 2022 YP Mentoring Program is now closed and is now in progress!
The 2022 YP Mentoring Program is proudly sponsored by The Surveyors Trust.
What is mentoring?
Mentoring is the opportunity to learn from someone who has a wider and broader experience than you (for the mentee, the one receiving the mentoring) and to share learnings, reflections, guidance and accumulated wisdom (for the mentor, the one giving the mentoring). It can be a formal or informal process, that takes place over a defined time or just through natural relationship development with colleagues and peers.
Mentoring is a two-way process, as the mentee often shares a new perspective to the mentor, and the mentor often learns more about themselves through the process.
Why does SSSI offer a YP Mentoring Program?
SSSI strives to serve its members by strengthening the Australian surveying and spatial industry through the intergenerational transfer of knowledge, experience and inspiration for a brighter future in a global context. The YP Mentoring Program is an important way of supporting the future of our profession.
SSSI is the peak national body for all custodians of quality spatial data creation, storage, maintenance and use in Australia. We support the evolving needs of this community, maintaining its rich heritage, in balance with adapting to new technologies as we move towards the fourth industrial revolution with changes in the way we work and the skills valued in the workplace.
Why is mentoring beneficial?
The mentoring process is valuable to both parties involved, the mentor and the mentee. The immediately obvious benefit is that the mentee receives guidance around decision-making, career pathway visibility and thinking outside the box about what is possible for their short, medium and long-term future. What is perhaps not as obvious is that the mentor also gains just as much – the chance to reflect upon their own choices and learn new insights that could help them, but also the opportunity to make a real difference in the career of another person. This is often reported to be a very fulfilling and rewarding experience, and one which is tinged with fresh inspiration and insights into the industry as seen from the perspective of the mentee, which can be transformational in itself.
You will need to commit at least five hours total over the course of the 3-month program. During this time, you will have five topics to explore and discuss. Two topics will be compulsory and participants will choose the remaining three from a specified list. Topics are based on building “soft" skills (such as leadership, effective communications, personal branding etc) rather than technical skills.
Mentees will be required to submit a one-page summary about their Mentoring Program experiences and video at the end of the program, highlighting key discussions and outcomes.
You will also the opportunity to participate in networking sessions during the program and a “graduation” ceremony will be held at the completion of the program to celebrate your success!
Who can apply?
Participants are welcome from all areas of the surveying and spatial sciences, and professionals of all levels, experience and backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
There are two key changes to the program in 2022:
- Applications are only open to those living in the Asia Pacific region.
- Application is free to all SSSI members and members of SIBA|GITA, EOA, S+SNZ, AIMS, ISVIC and ISNSW. A fee of $55 is applicable to those wishing to participate in the Mentoring Program and are not members of the noted organisations. This fee covers the administration costs associated with participating in this program (don’t forget SSSI membership is free for students - join here now!).
Applications have closed for 2022
Applications have now closed for the 2022 program.
Participants in the program are able to claim 1 SSSI CPD point per meeting and networking event, limited to a maximum of 6 CPD points per year (as per the SSSI CPD Policy).
If you would like to claim CPD points for BOSSI purposes however, please contact email@example.com.
Not a member of SSSI?
Participating in the Mentoring Program as a non-member? Want to join SSSI and receive many more fantastic benefits?
Join SSSI before the graduation ceremony and your one-off cost of $55 will be deducted from your membership fee! Please contact Libby Meredyth for further information.
Not sure about participating?
Here’s what previous participants had to say about the YP Mentoring Program.
What have you enjoyed most about the Mentoring Program as a Mentor?
- The opportunity to engage with and share my experiences with bright, enthusiastic, talented young people, passionate about the industry and excited about the next phase in their lives. It has been a privilege to participate and rewarding for me personally.
- Witnessing the interest and thirst for information from our 'younger' surveyors. Also, it has helped me reflect on a few things that I have taken for granted.
- The entire program has been very insightful. It covered all topics related to career, personal and professional development and also pointed me to the most important things at different stages of my development. I have learnt a lot from my mentor. The program has also helped me to reflect on various areas of improvement for me. It's been a great journey so far.
- Learning from someone with 30 years of experience. How to 'talk business' and the type of language to use. The scope of the spatial industry.
What has been the most surprising insight you have had from the program?
- How diverse we are but still it is a close-knit industry
- Maybe not surprising, but just how important it is to take a step back and reflect on how I am travelling - get a good strong set of goals and the right headspace to become a leader
- That I need to slow down and understand that meaningful connections take time to build, that it's ok to find your way and to not have all the answers
- I had no definite career goal before now.
- The biggest insight I have had is realizing the diversity in the spatial science industry. I’ve had to ask myself, “Where would we be in time and what would we do without maps?” The importance of mapping to humanity has been and is absolutely astounding.
- I should do more with the knowledge I have. Knowing a lot doesn't make sense without application.
- Being able to talk about the past made me realize how much I have achieved in my professional career and how much more knowledge and storytelling there can be. It is also nice to feel valued as a trusted person by a geospatial colleague with the same world view, rather than being a subject matter expert to people who don't understand your world view.
We look forward to you joining us in the program. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.